Welcome to Torrent Falls.
Please note that the number of spaces for vehicles and registered climbing is limited. Each registrant is valid for one vehicle only, and each group is asked to limit their size to no more than 3 climbers. All individuals must sign a waiver before entering the property, individuals not signing a waiver prior to entry will be considered to be trespassing and will be asked to leave the property. Please refer to the rules section for a more complete discussion of te requirements for access.
You must register the day of entry, there is no 'PRE-REGISTRATION' available. There is no 'rain-check' for failure to utilize your registration.
Access to the registration page begins promptly at 6 am and goes until noon of the same day, the hours of property access are from 10am to 6pm. If you arrive prior to 10am, the gate will not work, if you stay past 6pm, you risk getting locked in. During the registration process you will receive two numbers, one is your gate entry code the other is your ID, print the second out or write it down and place it on your dash or other visible location in your vehicle or risk a tow; the two are NOT interchangeable … possession of the gate code does not allow parking, possession of an ID does not grant access … you must have both.
About Torrent Falls
Torrent Falls has a long and colorful history.
Originally, the rockhouse was home to the Adena indians. Around the year 3000 BC, the Adenas lived, farmed, and hunted on the grounds of the Torrent Falls Resort.
In more recent history, the L. Park Hotel once stood at what is now the entrance to the property near the current location of the entrance gate. The L. Park Hotel was built in 1890. It was a major east coast tourist destination until it burned to the ground in 1927. At it's peak, the L. Park boasted a suspended stage, a boardwalk/dance floor, and an orchestra. According to the historical book Natural Bridge in the Kentucky Mountains (published around 1900) the author discusses Torrent Falls - "The hotel is environed by high cliffs and offers a charming retreat for health and pleasure. The visitor may go for miles over mountain bridle paths on horseback, or take short trips on foot to shady glens, which afford a succession of constantly changing mountain views."
Registration For Access
Registration is closed or full
- Climbing without being registered is STRICTLY prohibited.
- Guide services are only allowed with written permission from the manager of Torrent Falls LLC.
- Access to the property is limited to the hours of 10 a.m. until 6 p.m. unless specific permission for an extension has been granted by the owner of the property, Torrent Falls LLC, Robert Matheny, manager.
- On your climbing day, you must register here at TorrentFallsClimbing.com, This will give you an access code for the gate at the front of the property.
- Do not park at the church. They will tow your car. Parking space is limited to 3 vehicles, parking is only allowed in the signed area (climber parking) in the lower lot by the old wagon … park neatly. Do not block access to any of the cabins. Carpool.
- The code on the top section of the registration receipt page MUST be printed off or written down and placed visably on the front dashboard of your vehicle.
- Misuse of receipts, or the registration system, will result in your car being towed and public ridicule heaped upon you.
- Stay on trails and read and obey signs regarding limited access to areas.
- Do not stray from established trails. Do not “short cut” through the woods. Do not damage any natural feature or vegetation, respect all barriers and do not cross.
- No Pooping. You MUST use a WAG Bag or equivalent. There are no exceptions. Not even you. Dispose of human waste in accordance with “leave no trace” ethics, e.g. the use of “wag bags” for all fecal material, do not bury or otherwise leave “in situ”, similarly pack out and properly dispose of all litter including (but not limited to) food scraps and toilet paper. Do not urinate inside the drip line of any cliff; likewise do not urinate near or on any trail.
- No Trundling allowed. Don't know what it is? find out and don’t do it.
- No Fires. Even though you may see the fire-pit, YOU are NOT to build a fire.
- No tent, car, or any other form of camping. Rent a cabin if you want to stay the night.
- Pets are not allowed on the property, this includes those left in vehicles regardless of the circumstances
Access to and use of the Torrent Falls property is granted without charge pursuant to the Kentucky Use Statute, KRS 411.190. Those who wish to avail themselves of this opportunity must read and sign a waiver and agree to abide by the rules. Any individual not complying with this requirement will be considered to be trespassing and treated accordingly. All individuals accessing the property are warned that the property is not in any way maintained for access by the general public and that entry is undertaken expressly at the risk of individuals so choosing. Any individual wishing to hike, rock climb or otherwise make use of the property is warned that any of these activities carry with them the risk of serious injury and or death and that the individual so choosing is entirely and solely responsible for assessing the risk of any activity and will accept any and all consequences, good or bad, of such decisions. All artificial installations found on the property have been placed solely for the convenience of the property manager; any use of these installations is undertaken solely at the risk and discretion of the individual so choosing to utilize them. Any individual accessing the Torrent Falls property with pets must obtain permission from the manager of Torrent Falls LLC, Robert Matheny, and will keep the animals leashed and under control at all times assuming any and all responsibility for the behavior of their animals, as well as removing their waste from the property (bag and haul).
Access to the property is limited to the hours of 10 a.m. until 6 p.m. unless specific permission for an extension has been granted by the owner of the property, Torrent Falls LLC, Robert Matheny, manager.
Do not stray from established trails. Do not “short cut” through the woods. Do not damage any natural feature or vegetation, respect all barriers and do not cross.
Guide services for climbing are only allowed with written permission from the manager of Torrent Falls LLC.
NO TRUNDLING IS ALLOWED!!!!
Obey all signs regarding limited access to areas.
Dispose of human waste in accordance with “leave no trace” ethics, e.g. the use of “wag bags” for all fecal material, do not bury or otherwise leave “in situ”, similarly pack out and properly dispose of all litter including (but not limited to) food scraps. Do not urinate inside the drip line of any cliff; likewise do not urinate near or on any trail.
Fires may be built only with the permission of the property owner, Torrent Falls LLC, Robert Matheny, manager. Do not build fires outside of the established fire ring Do not collect wood from the Torrent Falls property, this includes apparently dead and/or downed wood; fire wood must be procured LOCALLY from outside the Torrent Falls property and carried in. Existing stocks of firewood may not be used without permission.